Comfy Crates - Humans only - July 27, 2021 7pm
Crate training is important for ALL dogs. At some point in a dog's life, there will be a need for them to be confined and training them to feel good in that space is crucial for their mental well-being. Dogs of all ages can learn that a crate is their very own space!
Times when dogs might need to be crated or confined that would be very stressful include:
- airline travel
- vehicle travel (crating your dog in a car is as important as using seatbelts and car seats!
- vet visits
- after injury or illness
- if they are lost and picked up by animal control
Teaching your dog that a crate is their space, is special, and safe will give them peace of mind in those situations.
But also, think of it as your dog's very own "room". We create safe havens within our homes, the bedroom is our very private space, or a den might be that place where we find relaxation. Dogs need the same. They don't need the same amounts of space that we do, and for a dog, smaller is better! It is not cruel to confine a dog to a crate, in fact, it could be argued that NOT providing them with a spot that fits their need is unintentional neglect!
This class is designed to help you understand HOW to help your dog feel safe in a space of their very own.
This class is for humans only, and is designed to teach YOU how to make the crate a special place for your pup and is approximately one hour of instruction, with Q&A. You will learn about
- the different types of crates, how they work, and which one would be the best fit for your dog and situation
- ways to make a positive association to the crate
- how to utilize the crate appropriately so it is not a "punishment" but it becomes your dog's haven
- how to transition to different uses for the crate throughout your dog's life
Some dogs don't do well in crates because of negative associations in their past, but we can overcome it too! If your dog is one who has had very negative experiences with the crate, we might need to add a few more sessions to your experience. In that case, I suggest a private lesson with your dog after this group class.
To register without paying online please click on the FORMS tab and fill out the group form.